2008 marks the year where it all came together for me. I was finally able to resolve the technical challenges and start taking images. Focusing, Autoguiding, and a simpler way to power it all was finally working.
Most of the images for 2008 were taken with my old wedge mounted CPC 1100. In October I finally took delivery of a Celestron CGE EQ mount and things are really working well now. Highlights for 2008:
- Upgraded mount from a wedge mounted CPC 1100 to a CGE with a C11 SCT scope
- In March I upgraded my main imaging scope from an Orion 80ED to a William Optics 110mm Megrez.
- In July I modified (I did it myself!) my Canon 40D with the Baader IR filter replacement and I can now image Ha (Reds) emissions that were previously invisible to my camera.
- I changed my autoguding setup several times. First from the DSI Camera with the Shoestring GPUSB interface to a Orion Starshoot autoguider. Then I adapted the Starshoot camera to use a standard 8 X 50 finder scope. Autoguiding is a breeze now.
- I chose to mount the C11 and the refractor side-by-side which reduces the amount of counter weight. The ADM Industries side-by-side system works very well.
- I built an electronics console that reduces the clutter of wires and power adapters. From a single 12V (deep cycle) power source I power the mount and dew heater controller. The console also houses power converters for a 5V 5-port USB Hub and the 8V Canon Camera.